Winter snows prior to the early 1900s weren’t a problem for the Greece highway dept. There was no highway department, as such, and they had no snow-moving equipment. There might have been a few farmers who contracted with their team of horses to pull fairly large rollers to pack down the road snow for a path to allow various types of sleighs on the main roads. The first “improved road” in Greece was a section of North Greece Rd. from the hamlet known as “Jenkins Corner” at Latta Rd. to about a half mile north and the “Hojack” (R.W.&O.) railroad and station in 1903. Shipments could be received there from Canada and the west and from eastern New York State and Rochester.
By 1909 the town board appointed the first highway superintendent and retired the numerous “Pathmasters” who had been the overseers of Greece’s various main roads. The town board minutes of 1919 make the first mention of snow removal in the budget. Four thousand dollars were to be allotted for snow removal. Little by little, during the 1920s, early town trucks would have added snow plow equipment for winter, to keep the main highways free of snow. The increasing use of automobiles had become more reliable and those adventuresome drivers could now keep their vehicles on the road with the aid of chains on their tires, rather than being stored on blocks until spring.
The town highway department soon outgrew the several small buildings that housed their equipment behind the town hall on Ridge Rd. In 1935 land was bought and developed on property formerly owned by Emmett Cooper, (long-time highway superintendent) on Long Pond Rd., north of Latta Rd. A much-expanded department operates from that spot to the present time.
Photos, data supplied by Alan Mueller, Greece Historian’s Office.