The Covert-Brodie-Pollok House ~ 978 North Greece Road ~ Greece, New York
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 1995
First Town of Greece Designated Landmark: October 1998
The Covert-Brodie-Pollok House is located on a 14.95-acre site on the east side of North Greece Road in the southwest quadrant of the town. The designation area incorporates the main house (1832), an attached garage at the rear of the house (early 1940s), a contributing well, a non-contributing shed and a non-contributing storage barn. A 14-acre expanse of lawn surrounds the house on the north, east, and south. The property is historically significant for its long association with the Covert and Brodie families. The Coverts were early 19th century settlers/farmers in the North Greece area and the builders of this house. The Brodie family and its descendents, also farmers, have owned the property since 1914. The Covert-Brodie-Pollok House is architecturally significant as an outstanding example of an early-19th-century, Greek Revival cobblestone farm house retaining a high degree of integrity of design, materials, and craftsmanship. Cobblestone architecture is unique to the Central and Western New York area of the country. It developed in the late 1820s when settlers who were clearing land and preparing fields for planting collected cobblestones as building materials. It is one of four existing cobblestone buildings in the town of Greece.
The Rigney-Feeney House ~ 1885 Latta Road ~ Greece, New York
Town of Greece Designated Landmark: October 2000
The Rigney-Feeney House is located on a multi-acre site on the south side of Latta Road in the northeast quadrant of the town. The designation area incorporates approximately one-and-one-half acres of land and the main house (c. 1850s). Also located on the site are: a non-contributing frame garage (1958); two non-contributing sheds; an in-ground swimming pool (c. 1960), said to be one of the first in the town; and a stone-lined well. Originally, the site was part of a 250-to-300-acre parcel of land that was developed as a farm. The property is historically significant for its associations with one of Greece’s pioneer families, the Rigney family, and the early 19th-century Irish immigrants who settled in the Paddy Hill area. The house, with its large multi-acre site is a visual reminder of Greece’s agricultural heritage. In the early 1950s some of the property from the original farm was developed into the Picturesque Acres and North Point housing tracts and the Greece School District purchased about 35 acres of the property for Paddy Hill Elementary School.
William A. Payne House ~ 505 Elmgrove Road ~ Greece, New York
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: June 2012
Town of Greece Designated Landmark: October 2012
The William A. Payne House is located in the southwest quadrant of the town, south of the Erie Canal near the former hamlet of South Greece. The designation area is approximately 1.6 acres of land and includes the main house, which was constructed around 1905, and a carriage barn. Historically, the property is associated with the early nineteenth-century pioneers who settled in South Greece near the Erie Canal. The hamlet of South Greece, also known as Elm Grove or Henpeck, was located near the intersection of the Erie Canal and what was then known as South Greece Road (later renamed Elmgrove Road). William Payne made an impact on local and state commercial practices through his work as the Monroe County Sealer of Weights and Measures. He was one of the founders of the statewide association that worked to develop fair and uniform methods of weighing and measuring for merchants and consumers, and created education programs for fellow sealers. Payne was also a fire commissioner in the Town of Greece, and a member of the Greece-Ridge Fire Department.
The Joseph Fleming House ~ 981 Latta Road ~ Greece, New York
Town of Greece Designated Landmark: October 2012
The Joseph Fleming House is currently located on a ten-acre site on the south side of Latta Road in the northeast quadrant of the town. The designation area is just under one acre and includes the main house, a one-story, gable-roofed, wood-framed and sided shed or milk house, a two-story, aluminum-sided, post and beam carriage house, and a two-story, concrete block, three bay garage. At least two barns were also located on the site. One was demolished in 1960; another in 2010. Originally, the site was part of a 300-acre parcel of land that was developed as a farm by Joseph Fleming, one of the town’s early pioneers. Fleming was born in King’s County, Ireland in 1812 and came to New York in 1837. A mason by trade, when he came to North America, he worked on several public works projects including the first Croton dam on the New York water works, the first suspension bridge over the Niagara River at the falls, and the enlargements of the Genesee Valley Canal and the Erie Canal. He also supervised the construction of Mother of Sorrows Roman Catholic Church, located on Latta Road at Paddy Hill, one mile to the west of his home.